Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Music for Yoga I

When I do yoga I like to play music from my iTunes library.  It's usually from my classical playlist, but recently I've started adding music to a special yoga playlist.  So whenever I hear something that works particularly well for the meditative aspect, rhythmic breathing, or pose flows involved in my routine I add it to the new list.  I know this list will continue to grow, which is why this post is called Music for Yoga I.


First up is Claude Debussy's Clair de Lune.  I learned this piece for my RCM Grade 10 examination (eons ago, yes!) and have loved it ever since.  It fits a yoga warm up pretty well too, but don't just take my word for it...give it a try!

Second on the list is Chopin-- a valse which is much more upbeat than the Debussy and just a really lovely piece that will put anyone in a good mood. (See original manuscript below!)

The third and final piece I would like to share is a prelude by Sergei Rachmaninoff.  This prelude is the fourth piece in a set of ten preludes and is marked "Andante cantabile", or moderately slow in a singing style.  There is something about the moods and harmonies within this piece I find very emotional; I love reading though it at the piano though it is very challenging to play.

I hope you enjoy these selections, whether you try and incorporate them into a routine of your own, listen to them only once or find a new favourite.  
~ Jennifer
  1. C. Debussy, Clair de Lune
  2. F. Chopin, Grande Valse Brillante Op. 18
  3. S. Rachmaninoff, Prelude in D Op. 23 No. 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!