Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Brand New Duet!

Ok, I've been wanting to get this one down on manuscript paper for a long time. This past winter-- probably around Christmas time-- I was thinking how much I liked the song My Favorite Things, and how great it sounded set in a jazz style. I had been on a bit of a duet roll in the fall, so my idea was for another piano duet. A jazzy duet. A jazzy arrangement of Feed the Birds from Mary Poppins!

I don't know whether we had been watching a lot of Mary Poppins at the time; maybe I had been playing through the song book recently with Sofie. In any case, I thought I could turn Feed the Birds (aka Tuppence a Bag) into a funky sounding jazz duet, and today I finally tried it. Even though I had a jazz waltz style in mind, it came out with a 5/4 time signature. And I could've gone on writing for ages it was so fun, but I didn't want to get too carried away. So the final version came out at just over one minute long...



What else is going on? Well, my students did wonderfully at a recent performance class where they all tried out their festival pieces. A few students even played their own compositions, which was great to hear. Festival starts next week, so good luck to everyone!
Take a look at my YouTube Channel for all my latest student videos. I also hope to get some more recordings done soon for SoundCloud; I will keep you posted as to when they are up. And who knows what my next composition project will be, now that it is spring!
~ Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!