Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Summer Sizzle 2013

From July 21st to 23rd I attended a fantastic piano pedagogy symposium called Summer Sizzle.  This is an annual event held in Mount Forest, Ontario that brings together music educators, musicians, composers and students alike.

The workshops covered topics such as Memorization, Interpreting Modern Scores, Teaching Tricks, and Teaching the Highly Tactile Learner.  The practitioners were both engaging and inspiring, and I came away with a wealth of information and ideas. I can't wait to get going in the studio this fall!

Alyssa at Drum Fit class!



Summer Sizzle also launched several new Canadian pieces with the composers in attendance; we were treated when the composers chose to perform their own works.  I was lucky enough to be asked to perform one of my own pieces at the Meet the Composers workshop (thank you Summer Sizzle!).

From the lunchtime concerts to the full music trade show, it really was a jam-packed two-and-a-half days.  Watching students work closely with their mentors and get really inspired, plus meeting new people and making new connections was so worthwhile for me.  I'll definitely be back next year!

~Jennifer
Student/composer workshops


Premieres of new Canadian works



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!